A Travellerspoint blog

A dearth of WiFi and a Plethora of beauty

Crossing the Sea of Cortez and sailing the Bay of Conception

The first couple days in San Carlos were a bit tough. I made the mistake of hardly eating a thing the day we flew in, and by the time we got to "shots" a bar and restaurant in San Carlos, it was too late. I got very light headed and felt like fainting. I never did, but i was lucky because I had just met the other two crew members, Lauren and Chelsea. Laurens dad owns a house about 5 minutes (walking) from the restaurant and I was able to go there with him and force down some carbs and gatorade to bring me back to life. It was so humbling to have met people like him, his daughter, and her friend Chelsea.Not to mention Seth, who was there for me the entire time. After a couple hours I was able to get in the car and make it back to the boat for the evening. Rough start to the trip to say the least. That, mixed with some anxiety has messed with me a bit for the last couple days, but I am adjusting now and am having a wonderful time.

We departed San Carlos yesterday 10/11 at 2 a.m. and crossed the Sea of Cortez some 80 miles in about 11 hours. We motorsailed across and averaged about 8.5 knots. Pretty good. The water was as smooth as Captain Bob has ever seen and it was a delightful cruise across. For awhile, we could see both the mainland and the Baja in the distance. Bob said we wouldn't see another boat the whole trip over and he was right. Not a one.

When we made it across, we came up on Bahia Concepcion` and there was a little sailboat right in the opening of the bay. We dropped the main and the genoa, and put up the spinnaker. It took a little while to get it up and going as Bob hadn't used it in over a year, but once we did- it was awesome. Until we jibed, that is. It took a few minutes to get the giant light wind sail across, and once we finally did Seth noticed the metal ring on the tack of the sail was broke at the weld so we had to drop it down. This was also not easy haha. But we got it down and stowed away and motored another 3 hours to the end of the bay and anchored out with a motorsailer and a motor cruiser in about 8 feet of water at Requisition. This is located right by a bar and restaurant in the middle of nowhere called Bueno Ventura. Bob knows the owners and their son, Nathan, who picked us up in his truck from our dingy to drive us a mile to his bar. We had a few drinks, smoked some cigars, and met some really cool people. We also had coconut shrimp tacos which were the best tacos I have ever had. Seriously. Fire. We left the bar by 8pm and I was asleep on the boat by 10.

I woke up at 6am this morning and watched the sun come up while sitting on the stern pulpit, doing a little early morning meditation and drinking my coffee. It was a perfect morning. We pulled up the anchors and motored 3 hours back to the mouth of the Bay of Conception. About an hour in I was at the helm and I killed the motor to stop and watch a family of sweet whale sharks swim around us. Hopefully I can get some pictures and videos up soon! We dropped anchor at the mouth of the bay about 30 yards from a beautiful beach and spent the day snorkeling, metal detecting, and talking with a liveaboard family on the beach who are anchored about 200 yards from us. We threw on a couple chickens on the grill and I'm about to chow down right now.

I have to apologize for the poor writing, as I'm using my phone as a hot spot and rushing through this to get it posted. I'll attempt to get my first video up again, but I'm not counting on it. Keep following and I promise to make the next post a little better :-) Adios amigos!

Posted by SailingRitters 16:43

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint